Promise Community Health Center is excited to invite you to join a Walking Group this fall! Our focus will be to walk, breathe, and connect with one another as we move. Everyone is welcome to participate!
ProActive Physical Therapy & Sports Rehab will collaborate and join us for our Promise Community Health Center walking group! A member of the Proactive team will be leading stretches before the walk begins. Come get active and stay active with ProActive and Promise!
Who: Anyone wanting to improve their physical, emotional, or mental health
What: Walking group for all people of all ages
When: Every Friday at 3:45 PM from September 8, 2023 through October 27, 2023
Where: Meet in front of the All Seasons Center in Sioux Center, IA
Why: Walking offers lots of benefits to your overall well-being! See below for more details!
Every Friday starting on September 8, 2023, and running through October 27, 2023, we will meet at the front of the All Seasons Center at 3:45 PM. Starting at 3:50 PM, one of Promise CHC’s Health Coaches will present a healthy habit tip, and there will be a Spanish Interpreter available for this. Then, at 4:00 PM, we will leave to walk a route on the bike path. This walking group is for everyone of any ability. There will be markers along the entire path that mark ¼ mile, ½ mile, and 1 mile, allowing people to turn around at any time depending on how far they would like to walk, or how long they have to walk.
Walking offers a wide range of physical, emotional, and mental health benefits. In terms of physical benefits, walking is considered a form of weight-bearing exercise, since you carry your own body weight as you walk. This type of exercise can improve your physical health by:
• Increasing cardiovascular fitness, lowering the risk of heart disease and stroke
• Improving muscle and bone strength
• Increasing joint flexibility, easing pain, and stiffness in the body
• Helping improve posture and balance
• Aiding in weight management by burning calories
While walking offers lots of benefits to your physical health, Promise CHC is especially excited to promote the ways that walking can improve your emotional and mental health, including the following:
• Enhances mood and can alleviate symptoms of depression by the release of endorphins
• Reduces stress and anxiety levels, especially when done in natural environments
• Helps improve cognitive function and memory, reducing the risk of cognitive decline as you age
• Aids in regulating sleep patterns and improving the quality of sleep
• Increases creativity and problem-solving skills, offering a conducive environment for fresh thinking
• Provides opportunities for social interaction and the formation of friendships. After so much isolation in recent years, we are excited for this chance to step outside and connect with one another again!