September 26 is National Family Health and Fitness day. In a world where stress, anxiety, negativity and uncertainty are at an all-time high, we could all benefit from MORE PLAY!
- Play tag! You can do this at home or at the park
- Play soccer, football, basketball, catch or Frisbee in the yard
- Laugh. Tell jokes, ask your kids for their best jokes, ask your Alexa for a joke. You are sure to burn some serious energy with all the belly laughs and laughter improves stress levels!
- Go for a family walk and have an impromptu race during the walk. (You might even beat your kids)
- Ride bike
- Swim – remember when you were little and you would leave the pool or lake FAMISHED? Your body has to work harder to stay warm in the water, so not only are you burning energy from being active you are burning energy to keep your body warm!
- Go sledding! This one will leave your legs and glutes on fire and working hard! You will win ALL the points with your kids, and they will think you are the COOLEST PARENT EVER!
- Build a snowman or have a snowball fight
Stuck inside? Are the temperatures too hot or too cold to be active outside?
- Put on music while at home and challenge the kids to a dance off, you might be surprised at your spouse’s dance moves!
- Play a good old-fashioned game of hide and seek
- Break out Twister! Don’t have the mat? Make your own with colored paper and tape!
- Make an obstacle course inside…everyone has a ninja warrior inside of them
Ever wonder how preschool and kindergarten teachers make it through a cold Iowa winter? Brain breaks! Go noodle, Cosmic kids yoga, Brain breaks! A quick Google search leaves you with LOTS of catchy options!
On National Family Health and Fitness day and EVERYDAY it is important to get out and MOVE!