September 26 is National Family Health and Fitness day. In a world where stress, anxiety, negativity and uncertainty are at an all-time high, we could all benefit from MORE PLAY!
- Play tag! You can do this at home or at the park
- Play soccer, football, basketball, catch or Frisbee in the yard
- Laugh. Tell jokes, ask your kids for their best jokes, ask your Alexa for a joke. You are sure to burn some serious energy with all the belly laughs and laughter improves stress levels!
- Go for a family walk and have an impromptu race during the walk. (You might even beat your kids)
- Ride bike
- Swim – remember when you were little and you would leave the pool or lake FAMISHED? Your body has to work harder to stay warm in the water, so not only are you burning energy from being active you are burning energy to keep your body warm!
- Go sledding! This one will leave your legs and glutes on fire and working hard! You will win ALL the points with your kids, and they will think you are the COOLEST PARENT EVER!
- Build a snowman or have a snowball fight
Stuck inside? Are the temperatures too hot or too cold to be active outside?
- Put on music while at home and challenge the kids to a dance off, you might be surprised at your spouse’s dance moves!
- Play a good old-fashioned game of hide and seek
- Break out Twister! Don’t have the mat? Make your own with colored paper and tape!
- Make an obstacle course inside…everyone has a ninja warrior inside of them
Ever wonder how preschool and kindergarten teachers make it through a cold Iowa winter? Brain breaks! Go noodle, Cosmic kids yoga, Brain breaks! A quick Google search leaves you with LOTS of catchy options!
On National Family Health and Fitness day and EVERYDAY it is important to get out and MOVE!
Our Promise Nurse health coaches work one-on-one with individuals and their families in the clinic setting to evaluate health needs, environment and barriers to better health. In doing so, they help their patients establish a plan and guide them and their families along the way to achieve the plan. They also work closely with local and state resources to ensure that each person receives the support that they need.
One of the services our Population Health team here at Promise offers is Health Coaching. We offer free, high quality health coaching for individuals and families. All of the health coaching centers around you as the patient – your goals, needs, and input. Another service we offer is Nutrition Counseling. The health coaches at Promise Community Health Center provide healthy eating counseling through education on My Plate, the Mediterranean Diet, and 5-2-1-0. One other service we offer is Weight Loss Support. The health coaches at Promise Community Health Center are here to provide focused, long term support to help you identify your why and help you reach your goals. Our Population Health team also offers High Blood Pressure Assistance. The Population health team at Promise Community Health Center works in collaboration with your provider care team and our Pharm D to ensure that your blood pressure is managed. Our health coach visits are free to you and allow you to learn what may be leading to your elevated blood pressure, how to monitor it in your home and what you can do to improve your numbers.
The Promise Community Population health team believes your health begins at home and is a family affair! Our Population Health team here at Promise offers Family/Kids Nutrition Support. Our team works closely with parents and kids to help provide education, resources and support on how to build a healthy lifestyle. Our Population Health team also offers Prediabetes Prevention/Education, along with Diabetes Care. Through collaborative efforts with the medical team, Promise Community Health Center is screening and identifying patients at high risk for prediabetes. When identified as having prediabetes, the Population health team will provide education, support and referral to Diabetes Prevention programs. The nurse health coaches at Promise Community Health Center work in collaboration with the provider care teams and Pharm D to provide you evidence-based education, support and access to the resources you need to live a long, vibrant life.