National Women’s Health Week (NWHW) is a weeklong health observance led by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Office on Women’s Health (OWH). The week May 10–16, 2020 serves as a reminder for women and girls, especially during the outbreak of COVID-19 to make their health a priority and take care of themselves. It is extremely important for all women and girls, especially those with underlying health conditions, such as hypertension, diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular and respiratory conditions, and women 65 years and older, to take care of your health now.
WHAT STEPS CAN I TAKE FOR BETTER HEALTH?
Promise Community Health Center encourages women and girls to: Take care of your body and mind:
– TALK TO YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER
- if you have concerns about COVID-19
- if you are sick
- if stress is getting in the way of your daily activities
- if you have a health condition such as asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure or obesity to develop or maintain a plan to keep it under control
– MAINTAIN A HEALTHY WEIGHT
– GET OUTSIDE AND STAY ACTIVE REGULARLY IN YOUR HOME OR OUTSIDE
– EAT HEART HEALTHY, WELL-BALANCED MEALS AND SNACKS
– TAKE CARE OF YOUR MENTAL HEALTH
- stay connected with family and friends
– FIND HEALTHY WAYS TO MANAGE STRESS
– PRACTICE GOOD SLEEP HABITS TO IMPROVE YOUR MENTAL AND PHYSICAL HEALTH, AND BOOST YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM
- follow a routine for going to sleep – be consistent going to bed and getting up – even on weekends
- try to get at least 7 hours of sleep
– MONITOR ALCOHOL INTAKE AND AVOID ILLICIT DRUGS, INCLUDING DRUGS THAT ARE NOT PRESCRIBED TO YOU
– LOOK OUT FOR YOUR LUNGS
- try to quit smoking and vaping
- smoking weakens your lungs and puts you at a much higher risk of having serious complications
Slow and stop the spread of COVID-19 while protecting yourself. To get the most up-to-date information on COVID-19, visit:
Visit womenshealth.gov/nwhw for resources and more information about finding your health.
And contact Promise Community Health Center today with any questions or concerns!