Job Summary: The Promise CHC Homebirth Nurse provides nursing care to patients and families in accordance with the health care plan, policies, procedures, and protocols established by Promise.
SALARY RANGE: Hourly Position
REPORTS TO: OB Coordinator/Clinic Manager
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assesses plans, advocates for and provides health care for patients in accordance with Promise standards and policies, with an emphasis on prevention.
- Performs data collection and documents subjective and objective data in patient records. Reviews health history with the midwife before arriving at patient home to assess patient needs and anticipate potential health emergencies.
- Assist with equipment set-up upon arrival at the home. Assess the home and ensure safety for movement around the home.
- Assist with patient monitoring before delivery. Vital signs to be taken on mom at least every 4 hours and recorded on labor summary record.
- Provides care management by serving in the role of patient advocate, labor coach, serves as a resource by listening, attending to, and recording relevant patient information.
- Monitor mom and babe vitals signs after delivery. Each patient required to have at least three (3) sets of vitals signs (every thirty minutes or more often as needed). Any deviation of vital signs to be reported to midwife.
- Ensure comfort for mom after delivery and assist with breastfeeding.
- Administers meds when needed. Seeks opportunities to provide patient education. Utilizes universal precautionaries in delivering care.
- Assist with all clean-up, postpartum education and remain at the home 3-4 hours postpartum (to be determined by midwife).
- Remains calm and performs effectively during peak periods and during stressful times.
- All other duties as listed on the “Homebirth Nurse Duties” list and as assigned by the midwife.
- In order to ensure competency, casual homebirth nurses are required to attend at least two births in a calendar year.
- Functions as a member of the health care team. Attends monthly OB meetings (at least every-other month for casual staff) and participates in discussion/makes recommendations to further develop the homebirth program.
- Articulates the mission of Promise and seeks opportunities to promote the center through outreach.
- Regularly attends Promise staff meetings, in-services and trainings (quarterly requirement for casual staff).
- Conscientiously documents all nursing care; communicates professionally, and honors patient confidentiality 100% of the time.
- Demonstrates and supports service excellence standards.
- Completes required in-services and certifications 100% of the time (maintain NRP and BLS certifications).
- Demonstrates ability to consistently perform job duties as outlined in the job description.
- Demonstrates and supports service excellence standards outlined in the Employee Policies.
- Demonstrates commitment to professional growth and competence.
- Completes classes and certifications required for job. Protects patient confidentiality 100% of the time.
- Improves knowledge and skills to provide superior patient care and additional education as recommended by Promise.
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Current License to practice Nursing in the State of Iowa.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing; is computer literate.
- One to two years of labor and delivery nursing experience preferred.
- Must have the ability to work as a team member, establishing effective relationships with patients and staff. Must be able to work well with low income populations in a respectful manner.
- The work environment characteristics are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to persons with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is required to stand for long periods of time, bend and squat. Employee is required to have the ability to talk, hear, write, read small print, and to lift up to 50 pounds.
Full-time employees (minimum of 30 hours) are eligible for all benefits.
Part-time employees are eligible for everything listed, excluding: Health/Dental/Vision/Loan Repayment.
Possible exposure to airborne and blood borne pathogens & hazardous materials.
All Promise facilities are smoke free environments.
Promise is an Equal Opportunity Institution and does not discriminate against any person in employment, admission, treatment, or participation in its programs and benefits on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, ability to speak English, disability, sex, age, or marital status. Persons alleging unequal treatment should contact the co-Chief Executive Officer.