CARING FOR YOUR TEETH
The most important part of keeping your teeth healthy happens at home. Regular brushing and flossing, in addition to regular visits to a dentist, are necessary to prevent tooth decay and gum disease. Here are some tips to keep your teeth healthy!
BRUSHING YOUR TEETH
- Brush twice a day, once after breakfast and again before bedtime.
- Brush all of your teeth, not just the front ones. Make sure you get the sides and backs!
- Take your time brushing! Spend 2-3 minutes each time you brush.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Replace your toothbrush every three months.
- Brush your tongue to keep your breath fresh!
Besides brushing, it’s also important to floss regularly. Flossing gets rid of the plaque that brushing alone can’t reach.
EAT TEETH FRIENDLY FOODS
- Eat sugars and starches with a meal. These foods are much more harmful when eaten alone.
- Brush your teeth after eating, or rinse your mouth with water or mouthwash, or chew sugarless gum.
- Don’t eat sugary foods between meals.
- When snacking, eat non-sugary foods like cheese, yogurt, popcorn, and veggies!
VISIT YOUR DENTIST
- Dentists examine teeth and gums for decay or deterioration.
- Hygienists thoroughly clean teeth with special equipment.
- Dentists look for problems with tooth alignment.
- Dentists take x-rays to look for hidden problems.
- Hygienists polish teeth to make your teeth plaque-resistant.
Prevention is the Best Solution!
Learn more about the dental care for children and teens at the links below:
Promise Dental Team
Promise Community Health Center has a full dental care team including a local dentist, dental hygienist and several dental lab technicians. Partial dentures, fillings, dental sealants, teeth cleanings and dental crowns are just a few of the many services our northwest Iowa dental team offers. Oral health is an integral part of the primary health care provided at Promise.