Job Summary: Promise Dental Hygienist will provide preventive, screening, and diagnostic dental health services to the Promise target population with a goal of reducing barriers and improving the oral health of the patients/families served by Promise.
SALARY RANGE: Hourly Position
REPORTS TO: Dental Coordinator
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide patient screening procedures, conduct assessment of oral health conditions; review medical history to include oral cancer screening and head and neck inspection.
- Complete dental charting/documentation of all procedures and assessments.
- Complete and develop dental radiographs.
- Perform removal of hard and soft deposits on surfaces of teeth and apply preventative materials, including sealants and fluoride varnishes.
- Teach and counsel patients on oral hygiene, good nutrition, and other measures to maintain good oral health.
- Makes dental impressions of patient’s teeth if indicated/required.
- Ensure completion of a risk assessment on all newly eligible Medicaid-enrolled children under age 18; work with child health coordinators to develop protocols for informing newly-eligible Medicaid enrollees about dental services.
- Assist with office management activities as required for a dental/oral health service and order/stock dental supplies and educational materials.
- Assist Dental Director in developing Promise oral health policies, providing reports to Promise Board, and providing training and oversight for other staff involved with oral health services.
- Performs other job duties as assigned.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task efficiently.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent computer and typing skills.
- Must be able to work well with a diverse population of persons, as well as individuals with low income.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Current licensure as a Dental Hygienist in the State of Iowa.
- Professional dental hygiene experience in public health services preferred.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is required to stand for long periods of time.
- Manual Dexterity
Full-time employees (minimum of 30 hours) are eligible for all benefits.
Part-time employees are eligible for everything listed, excluding: Health/Dental/Vision/Loan Repayment.
Possible exposure to airborne and blood borne pathogens & hazardous materials.
All Promise facilities are smoke free environments.
Promise is an Equal Opportunity Institution and does not discriminate against any person in employment, admission, treatment, or participation in its programs and benefits on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, ability to speak English, disability, sex, age, or marital status. Persons alleging unequal treatment should contact the co-Chief Executive Officer.