Job Summary: Responsible for providing dental services to the target population of Promise in accordance with the Iowa Dental Practice Act and Iowa Department of Public Health Dental Supervision requirements.
SALARY RANGE: Hourly Position
REPORTS TO: CEO – Emily Tuschen
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Diagnoses and treats problems with teeth and tissues in the mouth, along with giving advice and administering care to help prevent future problems.
- Develops dental hygiene treatment plans and sequences treatment to enable patients with diverse backgrounds to receive comprehensive dental hygiene services.
- Provides comprehensive dental services.
- Provides education to the patient and family regarding assessment data, treatment plan pre- and post-therapy instructions, and prevention of future disease and as appropriate for the patient’s age, educational level, physical and mental condition, and cultural background.
- Develops and maintains patient education material for use at chair side and for office display.
- Provides instruction on diet, brushing, flossing, the use of fluorides, and other aspects of dental care.
- Maintains and completes records of dental patients, consistent with clinic policy.
- Assists the program director with the implementation of the dental community outreach program.
- Assists with business office procedures, as needed and as patient schedule permits.
- Attends continuing education programs as required by license and to maintain skills.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings, in-service programs and Promise events regularly.
- Demonstrates ability to consistently perform job duties as outlined in the job description.
- Demonstrates and supports service excellence standards outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Demonstrates commitment to professional growth and competence.
- Completes classes and certifications 100% of the time. Patient confidentiality is respected 100% of the time.
- Handwriting is legible 100% of the time.
- Improve knowledge and skills to provide superior patient care and additional education as recommended by Promise.
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- One year of clinical dentistry experience is preferred Bilingual in Spanish/English is preferred.
- Must have the ability to work as a team member, establishing effective relationships with patients and staff. Must be able to work well with low income populations in a respectful manner.
- The work environment characteristics are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made for persons with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is required to sit for long periods of time, is required to use routine office equipment to talk, hear, write, read small print, reach the top of a five drawer filing cabinet and to lift boxes of no more than 30 pounds.
Full-time employees (minimum of 30 hours) are eligible for all benefits.
Part-time employees are eligible for everything listed, excluding: Health/Dental/Vision/Loan Repayment.
Possible exposure to airborne and blood borne pathogens & hazardous materials.
All Promise facilities are smoke free environments.
Promise is an Equal Opportunity Institution and does not discriminate against any person in employment, admission, treatment, or participation in its programs and benefits on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, ability to speak English, disability, sex, age, or marital status. Persons alleging unequal treatment should contact the co-Chief Executive Officer.
LOAN REPAYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
Promise Community Health Center is an approved National Health Service Corps site. Primary care medical, dental and mental health clinicians can receive repayment of loans in exchange for a two-year commitment to work at an approved NHSC site, such as Promise, that reaches under-served populations in high-need areas. Promise has had several staff members participate in the NHSC program throughout the years.